Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Fraze Puts Dougal's Foot In It

Another update on our current game starring the Scottish giant, Dougal Smeaton (no pic this time, sorry). Previous posts here, here and here.

So Sargon had a post on his LJ about the game we're currently playing and how it's taking a turn into very complex waters, and I said the worst thing you can say to any gamemaster. I basically said that I wasn't worried because my character would have it easy, being a relatively uncomplicated guy. I think among my exact words were the phrase, "This is cake."

So the game is going along last night, and everyone else is mired in the weeds of politics and the machinations of nobles, but I often break off to go build my sub or something, because Dougal's a hands-on kind of guy and not so much of a strategic thinker. So a fellow soldier asks me for a favor, and next thing I know, I'm caught in a situation where my understanding of what's going on literally changes from second to second. And by the end, I'm deep in it, whether I want to be or not.

And the thing is, I could probably manage to work my way out of it only because I'm sort of poor and powerless. Except that now I'm not. We just got back from an extended adventure with a hell of a lot of money, so now I'm sort of a man of means, and I've got to figure out how to deal with that. I was planning to use that money to become an industrialist, but that means a certain amount of influence and responsibility, and that means dealing with political structures that an underling never has to deal with.

So everything just got a lot more complicated. Damn.

Have I mentioned that this game is one of the best I've ever played in? I'm having a blast.


No comments: