Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Big Game Wednesday - Happy Jack's Podcast

So I somehow ran across this podcast, through a link chain from Propnomicon. But these guys are pretty hysterical, and Tappy really reminds me of guys I gamed with back in my SC days. And the funniest thing, they pointed me to a webshow named Gold (which I don't love as much as they do) which had a scene set in The Last Grenadier, which was a game shop in Burbank I visited a few times back when I lived out there. It's apparently still in business, which amazes me. I don't know of any game shops out here which have been in business continually for over 25 years like that. There are comics shops which also sell games which have been open that long, but not dedicated game shops.

But the thing is, between playing RPG's with Sargon and Co. on Mondays and listening to this podcast, I have the urge to run my own game again. Which is an idiotic idea. I don't have the time, energy or attention to do all the stuff I need to do now. Trying to toss GM'ing in there also would be ridiculous.

But in an attempt to get it out of my system, I did download some free game-related PDF's, and I'll probably spend some time screwing around with some of the old rulebooks I dug out of storage recently. There was a game I bought called Hong Kong Action Theater that I never really dug into, and then there's the Open D6 stuff I just downloaded, which can be adapted into a kind of Hero-lite, I hope. Because I really love Hero, but I don't know if I have the patience for it anymore, and the people I would want to play would REALLY not have the patience for it.

I may just play around with some notes for a campaign setting, and maybe in a year or two, when the game I'm currently in possibly winds down, I may offer to run the next one.

Or not. But at least I'll get it out of my system.

(ETA: Forgot to say, the Happy Jack's guys go off on some really long tangents, and the podcasts tend to last something like an hour and a half. They're entertaining, but long, so if you don't have the patience to listen to something that long, or can't listen while you're doing other things (like I tend to) then maybe this isn't for you)

No comments: