Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Laurel and Hardy Get Funky

A tiny bit of fun to make up for Saturday's missed Vault. Laurel and Hardy dance to the GAP Band's "Party Train."



There's apparently a whole mini-genre of these--Laurel and Hardy dancing to Soft Cell, the Archies, Iggy Pop... But of the ones I watched, "Party Train" was the best. I especially like the way Ollie throws his head back at about 1:06 in the clip.

I didn't like "Party Train" much when it first came out. It had a nice groove, but it seemed even more insubstantial than most pop songs. There were no lyrics, no structure, just one verse, one chorus (or maybe just a two-part chorus) repeated ad infinitum.

But when I first heard it, I was just sitting at home watching the music video. Later on, I heard the song in a club--in the proper context, if you will--and my opinion changed. Now it holds a very special place in my heart (which may be entirely due to the woman involved).

No comments: