Tuesday, February 07, 2006

To the Alarmists About the Christian Right

You know, I left the whole Christianity thing behind long ago. And I'm not one of those milquetoast agnostics who says, you know, even though I don't go to church, I kind of believe in Christianity in a general sense. I don't. I'm an atheist. I don't want the Ten Commandments hanging on the wall of the courthouse, I'm not a fan of the words "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance, and I don't want to see the blue laws enforced.

Having said that, for the American liberals who piss and moan that the Christian Right is the greatest threat to freedom in the modern world, you cannot seriously argue that the Christian Right would do anything like this. So count your blessings.

Could this thing keep escalating? Could the civilized world survive something as barbaric and shocking as 9/11, only to go to the mattresses over cartoons?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny thing. I was in Meymenah, Faryab Province, Afghanistan for two months in 2004. Not really an influential region. Still...