Sunday, January 15, 2006

What Did I Expect?

Got a rejection from The Town Drunk today for "In Deep." The editor said they found it "well-written and entertaining," but in the end it was just an extended fart joke, which, okay, guilty. She also included a long paragraph of technical nit-picking about the chemical make-up of farts. Here's the thing: I actually did research on the chemical make-up of farts when I wrote the story, so I could, if so inclined, write a defense of my story on the technical merits. However, I think it's remarkable enough that I actually got an editor to write a treatise on farts that I'll let it pass.

Do you think when she decided to become an editor that ever in her wildest dreams she thought she would write a paragraph like the one she wrote to me? My work here is done.

In other news, I actually started writing again, another useless bit of short story filler called . Let other people write serious, self-important, meaningful stories. I'll write about farts and . and die with a smile on my face (but I'd be smiling even bigger if they'd bought it).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In deep was the "no shit there I was" story set in Korea?

TheyStoleFrazier'sBrain said...

Yep, I retitled it from "Deep Shit, because why give editors an excuse to reject it before they've even read the first sentence?