Sunday, January 22, 2006

Modern World, Shifting Memory

I had a strange experience today. I was thinking about somebody I met at a convention years ago, with whom I briefly stayed in touch. I'm talking late 80's here, back when I still lived in OKC and wrote for the Daily Oklahoman. And as I thought about her, I had this memory of her e-mailing me. Now keep in mind, this was years before I knew what e-mail even was. I got my start on-line in the early 90's, and even then, there was no e-mail, only BBS's. I used to hang out on a FIDONET BBS in Tulsa called Shadowland, I think, as well as a couple of others. But I was in touch with this person at least three years before that. I don't remember if we snail-mailed or talked on the phone, but I know for a fact that there was no e-mail, even though I vaguely remember it. Funny how memory works.

Glad I'm not being asked to testify before a committee about this, because they'd definitely charge me with something.

No comments: